Saturday, January 8, 2011

Can you choke on a Snowflake?

I've never given much thought this this question until today...when it happened to me.

Let me start from the beginning...today started as an almost perfect Saturday. After sleeping in late I discussed the possibility of getting a run before noon. Mr. B thought we should take the kids tobogganing, as it snowed last night and we haven't had snow the entire Christmas break.

Me: I should go for a run this morning.
Mr. B:  Wait til later when people have shovelled their sidewalks

Seemed reasonable....to the hills we went.
It was gorgeous winter day...perfect really. Fresh snow, no wind, clear blue sky and the sun getting brighter by the minute. I was actually looking forward to my run in the new snow.

After the hills we headed home for cookies and hot chocolate, which lead to a late lunch. I am a bit of a procrastinator, so after doing laundry, making homemade soup and wasting time on the computer, I thought I was ready for my run.
By the time I gathered all my clothes, ipod, watch and warm socks my perfect winter day turned to this....


I was ready to go, so I couldn't back out now. Plus...I'm waaaayyy behind on my weekly mileage goals, so it was my last chance.

Me: Oh...why didn't I run this morning?
Mr. B: It will be cool to run in the snow...besides, they weren't calling for much snow today, it should stop soon.

What the picture doesn't show is the size of the snowflakes...huge cotton balls falling from the sky, added with a bit of wind from the North and it was almost a blizzard...well I guess it was a blizzard.

About halfway home I actually choked on a couple snowflakes...as I had my mouth open and really the snow was non-stop the whole time. In fact, most of my footprints had been covered by the time I doubled back.

This is by far the craziest run I have ever done. I was actually laughing to myself throughout, just at the sheer 'silly-ness' of it all. I'm not that serious of a runner, I don't even consider myself a runner...but who else would go out to get a run  in the middle of a blizzard?

I felt great! The weather slowed me down so my breathing and legs felt strong the whole time. I managed to get in 7.8kms done. In fact I would have even gone further had my pants not slowed me down. Let me say I have learned my lesson...never wear yoga pants running in the snow!
Snow Shoes

When I came home I was almost giddy...I can't believe I just ran in that.

Mr. B: How'd that go?
Me: That was fun!!

I think that's the first time I've ever said that about a run. Oh...I've found my run-love again. Tear.


No comments: